Major Prizes & Awards
What you'll find on the Prizes and Awards web pages
- McMaster University faculty members have garnered a significant number of major provincial, national and international awards. We are proud to feature a comprehensive list of the awardees on our Celebrating Research Success page.
- We have created a month by month listing of all of the major prizes, awards, honours and distinctions with internal and external deadlines. We've also provided on-site web pages for each of these awards, providing you with a quick overview of who's eligible and what's required for a nomination package. This listing can be found on the Major Prizes and Awards Opportunities and Deadlines page.
- Our University offers significant Internal Awards such as the University Scholar, and Distinguished University Professor distinctions, as well as the Senator McMaster Chairs and the Petro-Canada Young Innovator Award. You will find information and lists of those awardees on our Internal Awards page.
The Office of the Vice-President, Research is dedicated to facilitating the nomination process for prestigious awards offered through agencies both nationally and internationally including the Canadian Tri-Council agencies. We encourage Faculty involvement to assist in the identification of research distinctions within the respective disciplines. For a more comprehensive listing of awards across disciplines and for all stages of the career, please visit the COS Pivot database. In the advanced search, select “Prizes and Awards” as the funding type.
Awards Tracking and Nomination Support
Supporting and tracking McMaster's participation in significant national and international awards competitions is an institutional priority. We encourage all of our researchers to apply for research awards or nominate a deserving colleague.
The Manager, Prizes and Awards can provide support for major awards nomination by:
- updating the Awards Listing to reflect upcoming deadlines
- reviewing the eligibility requirements and award guidelines with anyone wanting to put forward a nomination package
- soliciting letters of reference and support on behalf of the nominator
- arranging for application signatures and/or institutional letters of support as required from the Vice-President, Research or from the President
- editing draft nomination packages
- reviewing nomination packages to ensure that all of the requirements have been met
- facilitating the internal competition process for those awards and prizes that limit the number of institutional nominees
- submitting nomination packages and applications online or by courier as required
- tracking the success of our faculty members and sharing their stories with both our internal and external communities
- developing a repository of successful McMaster University nomination packages and tips to help prepare strong nominations for major awards
For more information or help facilitating a nomination, contact Danelle D'Alvise, Manager, Prizes & Awards by email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 905.525.9140 ext. 27419. We'd also like to hear from you if you are planning to submit a nomination so that nomination activity can be effectively and confidentially tracked.